If you were to come over for a cup of coffee …
… I would probably start our conversation by this new Unicorn Frap at Starbucks that people are freaking out over. I get it… its a lot of sugar. But its blue and pink … bright blue and pink… topped with whipped cream and colorful sugar… and people are sharing the sugar content… like this is a surprise? Duh. Of course its full of sugar. But its around for 5 days only. It’s fun. And people will live through it. Is it too much sugar … yes? But ya know what… when I had sleepovers as a kid.. my mom would get us loads of candy – sour straws, sour patch kids, skittles, etc – and then we would request jolt or mountain dew (only if we couldn’t find the jolt) we would eat an obscene amount of candy and soda…and giggle and make up silly dance routines and watch ridiculous movies all night. And ya know what I survived… and no other mom was upset about this. It was fun. It was a slumber party – of course we ate sugar and drank soda and stayed up all night.
… Or what about those days in college where we would drink frozen (sugar filled) margaritas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner – with a side of uncooked cookie dough… and maybe a few brownies to fill out empty stomachs.
… Does anyone else feel this way? I get it… it’s a lot of sugar. I probably won’t order one… however I am tempted. because its pretty… and fun. But I don’t think I will like it. but did I mention its pretty? But I have actually seen people shame other moms on social media for buying their kids this drink…. what??? yes… its true. crazy right?
… I would probably be honest with you… I kind of love the irony in this. Have you ever noticed how there are moms out there that freak out about the kids and what their kids eat… but they don’t have the same standards for themselves? But will preach to other moms about healthier options for their kids… meanwhile… they just filled up on cheap fast food themselves. Sorry – but am I right? And I am not trying to be a jerk. Please don’t take it that way… just when did becoming a mom mean we get defensive and have something to prove? I mean – I watch my husband’s videos of him as a kid – and he had great parents… and there’s his little brother drinking a can of coke at age 2 – no dirty looks by bystanders – I should have been a parent in the 80s. I mean seriously… we always say growing up in the 80s – early 90s was the best… but do we ever credit that back to our parents as well? And here we are… pushing competitive sports and crazy eating habits on our kids… going against everything that made our childhood so great.
… and if you follow my blog long enough by now you know that the mom shaming or the moms that like to tell you all the “great things they do for their kids” … well I can’t deal. Because sometimes my kids eat broccoli and grilled chicken… and sometimes they eat mac and cheese from the box … and sometimes… they have cinnamon toast crunch for dinner. because well… that’s just how it works out sometimes.
… and another thing I still buy the sugar cereals. My kids love cinnamon toast crunch because their mom still prefers it as an adult. One time I bought the crazy expensive organic version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch because there was so much mom shaming going on at that time… that I felt like I had to. but recently over the past few years I have hit this place in mom-ing where I don’t care what anyone else thinks of how I do things… and it is such a great place to be. I think we all go through that. But phew. It’s so much easier on this side of it.
… So let me just tell you about all the things I have done as a parent that is controversial
- I leashed Maddux. And I have every intention of leashing Hudson. Because I am sorry… I am not going to lose site of my kid because some mom I don’t know gives me the slant eye for the leash. Better safe than sorry… and you moms who have runners… You get me. I know it. I almost want to high five anyone that is using the backpack leash in public. Maybe I will start doing that. Because seriously people… Maddux was a RUNNER.
- I let Maddux eat raw cookie dough…. because I eat it still. How can I deprive him of that? It was seriously the best part of making cookies with my mom as a kid. So all of you people posting the “don’t let your kids eat raw cookie dough” you are depriving yourselves of some quality time with your kid… and delicious cookie dough. *disclaimer – I only like the cookie dough. I actually do not like cookies
- When Jerry has been away at volleyball – me and my kids have had ice cream for dinner once… or twice.
- I don’t limit TV time. People that have the one hour a day rule… Great for you! but honestly… if it stops my kids from whining – I’m okay with it. – But to be honest I have one kid who loves movies… and one kid who could care less about TV.
- I let my kids get hurt. I let them test their limits. I mean if its crazy dangerous of course I will stop them. but I have sat back and watched skinned knees and tumbles and all the in between because well … I believe they need to learn. and as long as they are going to be Okay… I let them figure it out on their own.
- I make them play outside. If its nice and they come inside… they have to clean. Get. Outside. – so I guess here I do limit the TV. There is no TV on if its nice outside.
- I yell at my kids and I never feel bad about it. Mom guilt about yelling at your kids? Why is this a thing? I mean… this doesn’t happen like I am screaming at them outside like a maniac. And Hudson doesn’t fall into this… yet. But he will. I have never felt bad about yelling at my kid when he does something wrong. I do not practice this whisper parent stuff. Great if you do. But I could whisper all day… my kids would never hear me.
- When potty training Maddux – he would pee on the tree outside… more times then I would like to admit. but well he was potty trained in 2 days. There was a fence… so it was hard to see him. but still…
- I overly document my children – I don’t see this as a bad thing but others find it annoying. but it doesn’t stop me. if we are going to be friends… you have to accept this about me. or we wont make it. I will annoy you constantly.
- I let the boys sleep in our bed. One of these days Maddux will outgrow it. but he hasn’t yet.
- I let the boys dress themselves. I am sad that Maddux outgrew the costume stage… but there was a good year where he wore a costume daily. I loved it. I miss it so much.
I am sure there are so many things that I do against new age parenting. and honestly… if you never use a backpack leash on your child…. More power to you. If you whisper to your children when you are upset… well that is awesome. If your kid hates cinnamon toast crunch – you messed up. Sorry, but you messed up.
… But I would probably tell you. Honestly I am okay with most things. Of course I have faults.. and have I judged other parents… yes. of course. because I am human. And we all are. But if you need someone to encourage that leash – I’m your gal. If you need some re-assurance on co-sleeping – I can give you 100 reasons on why I love it. If you need someone to come over and yell at your children to get outside and play otherwise everyone is cleaning toilets… I can do that for you too.
… So see… friend… my whole point here is… I want to buy a unicorn drink at Starbucks and dedicate it to all the haters. that’s where this was going… then I got on about sugar… and this just took a turn for who knows what.
… Moving on.
… I would probably tell you that on Facebook I have been doing some live videos on subscription boxes that I love. I am sure its annoying. But I honestly love these boxes… I have another one to share but I don’t want to seem like a subscription queen – but honestly… I am that lazy. these boxes help me. And HelloFresh is one that we have used for almost 2 years now. and it’s the BEST. so I might annoy everyone again and see how it goes. Have you tried it? Have you been interested in doing it?
… I would probably tell you that I am terrible at meal planning. I keep trying to get better at it. but I buy stuff then forget I have it.. .throw it out… waste money. its so annoying. I need to get a handle on it. I keep trying…. anyone have any tips on how to do this?
… I would probably tell you too that we started our garden this year. I am really hoping it works out for us. I need to get some fencing though we have some bunnies in our yard … so I need to make sure I protect it… any tips on that?
… I would also ask about TV shows… what do you watch over the summer? I recently started Mad Men because everything I watch has ended… and needed something. Any good suggestions?
… I would tell you about Easter weekend – The boys had an egg hunt at our church. I never saw Maddux – we have reached this age where he finds his friends and takes off and never worries about his mom. I have to come find him and force him reluctantly into hanging out with me and his brother… to take a few photos. So… well this will be a new phase for me.
… But Hudson… Hudson LOVED the egg hunt. (Maddux did too – but I didn’t get to see him… because they took off the opposite way) But Hudson was so cute… and they had like a 15 egg max… and well… they have never tried to reason with a 2 year old… we might not have followed that rule exactly. I tried… but seriously… the kid was on a mission.
… Then we had our family breakfast and egg hunt at my sister in laws… and once again.. Maddux was off with his cousins most of the day so I barely saw him. But Hudson loved it.. and loved finding the dogs balls to put in his basket as well… not understanding those weren’t his to keep… bit of a melt down…
… Hudson turned 2 this past week… and I will dedicate a whole post to that sometime soon. but let me tell you… its so bittersweet. Im sad at how fast it all goes by…. but I am so excited about everything we get to experience this year. I love every stage so much… that even though its sad to have one end… its even more exciting for the next one we are beginning. I can’t believe my baby… my last baby is 2. My sweet boy.
… but now its time to get on with the day and get things moving for the weekend…
… Until next week sweet friend…